New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How to switch software engineering domains

Ask HN: How to switch software engineering domains
9 by SomeDaysBe | 7 comments on Hacker News.
Hi! I've been a Software Engineer at a medium sized Canadian company for almost 4 years now. It was my first job out of university. The work is backend application development for the company's platform. While the work can be interesting at times, I feel like I don't enjoy it anymore. I want to switch into a new software engineering domain that isn't as high-level. I'm fine with switching to any other field, I'm just don't know how to properly make that transition in a way that would allow me to get a job. Currently, I've been doing some personal projects in computer graphics, and I've always enjoyed C programming (I was a TA for my systems programming course in undergrad). I also just completed my Masters in Computer Science. Despite this, I'm having trouble applying for jobs. I usually don't meet any of the requirements, as I don't have actual work experience that the job description expects. And when I do apply, I get rejected before an interview. For those who have switched domains, any advice on how to go about this transition?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New top story on Hacker News: Show HN: Zipy.ai - Like Sentry + Hotjar, but with less noise

Scallops row warnings 'fell on deaf ears', say UK fishermen, after French 'hurl rocks and smoke bombs' at boats