New top story on Hacker News: Tell HN: WhatsApp appears to be censoring references to Signal

Tell HN: WhatsApp appears to be censoring references to Signal
30 by DicIfTEx | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I don't usually go in for conspiracy theories, but this one seems pretty clear-cut and I can't see anyone else discussing it online: WhatsApp appears to be selectively censoring references to Signal. Specifically, I had changed my profile picture on WhatsApp to the Signal logo and my ‘About’ text to ‘Message me on Signal - https://signal.org/download/’. However, I noticed recently (after someone happened to open their WhatsApp in front of me and I saw their chat with me) that my WhatsApp contacts are seeing my profile picture and my ‘About’ text as blank. I've checked and this seems to be the case for all of my WhatsApp contacts. See screenshots from me and my friend's phones here: https://ift.tt/FWK5EoY On the bright side, this serves as an ideal demo for convincing anyone who doesn't understand why I am trying to migrate them over to Signal. So, I guess, thanks Meta?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New top story on Hacker News: Show HN: Zipy.ai - Like Sentry + Hotjar, but with less noise

Scallops row warnings 'fell on deaf ears', say UK fishermen, after French 'hurl rocks and smoke bombs' at boats